Address: 33853 Palomares Rd, Castro Valley, CA 94552
Phone: +1 (510) 582-9900
Chouinard is a family run winery that started in 1983 and is situated on a historical cook ranch. It’s open for public tasting over the weekends and most holidays from noon till 5:00 pm Pacific.
- It is not a big commercial winery thus you can enjoy your wine in peace amidst the tranquil hills.
- Small and intimate tasting room where you can sample 6 of the wines for an unbeatable 5 USD (isn’t that unheard of in the expensive Bay Area ? )
- It has a beautiful picnic area next to the vineyards where you can bring your own food and invite friends to have a wonderful time. During the rains you have small water streams running next to the picnic area.Tip: Reach early to reserve your spot, First come first served!
- Absolutely no cell phone signal. This is in fact the best part, perfect way to spend time with your loved ones, friends and family. Tip: Since you won’t be able to call Uber/Lyft to commute back in case you get drunk, make sure you have a designated driver ?
Our favorites are:
- California Champagne (Sparkling), costs just USD 20 and has an excellent aroma of fresh pears with well-balanced acidity. We have tried multiple champagnes and have realized that anything that is below USD 50 is either too dry or gives a bad hangover but this is amazing!
- Orange Muscat 2013 (Best of region, Best of show, Gold Medal, Silver Medal), costs just USD 25 and is an absolute showstopper. Serve chilled after a heavy lunch/dinner and your guests wouldn’t want to stop at one glass. It’s a Monterey modified Ice wine that has unique flavors of orange blossoms with aromatic honey blend making this a great dessert wine! Definitely a must try.